If you’re like most homeowners, you may find yourself unsure how long your roof should hold up to the elements. This is a valid question to have, and the answer may differ depending on who you ask. Roofing companies may give you several answers to this question, but here at American Design and Build your roof replacement is GUARANTEED to last at least 25 years. (A lot of our roofs last even longer!)
All roofs will eventually succumb to mother nature and break down, but there are factors that can increase or decrease wear on a roof. For example, if you live in a climate that is prone to strong winds or extreme temperature swings, your roof may deteriorate faster than others in a more moderate climate. If your roof is at a steeper pitch than average, your roofing materials will likely last longer than that of roofs with a lesser pitch. Steeper roofs will absorb less solar radiation than that of a flatter roof, and thus prolong deterioration. If severe weather just passed through your area such as hail or heavy rain, it is a good idea to do a visual inspection of your roof (from the ground, of course). You may find that your roof is not in as good of shape as you thought!
Exterior Signs Your Roof Is In Trouble
Roof that shows signs of streaking from years of heavy rain.
There are ample signs that a roof is in bad shape. If you notice any of the following five signs on your own roof, it may be time to consult an expert.
- One indicator is finding roofing granules in your gutters and downspouts. This is a sign that your roof’s shingles are deteriorating, leaving granules in your gutter system and all the areas it drains out to.
- A couple of other items to look for on the outside of your home is damage from wildlife. Wildlife can chew on or scratch your roof causing little tears or holes that can be a point of entry for water.
- Damaged/missing/curled shingles may also be a sign of an aging or unsuitable roof. If you notice any issues with your shingles, it is better to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Waiting until next season to take care of an aging roof can cost you more as the damage spreads beyond your roof and into your home below! It is better to catch it early.
- Furthermore, moss or algae growth on the roof can indicate an issue with moisture and debris getting under or on the roof’s shingles. Moss is not always a sign that your roof is bad, it may just need to be cleaned due to high moisture environment. However, combined with other signs, it can be a good indicator of roof degradation.
- If you have shingles that are streaking, this may also be a sign that it is time to start thinking about a new roof. Shingle streaking can occur when airborne algae has attached itself to the shingles on your roof and this can lead to issues in the future if left unchecked.
Damaged shingles on leaking roof.
Interior Signs Your Roof Is In Trouble
In some instances, a roof might look okay from the outside but there could be hidden dangers underneath those shingles! It is important to check inside as well to assess your roof’s condition.
Any light coming through your roof’s base boards is grounds for a replacement as the roof is likely leaking. If you are not able to see the underside of your roof clearly look for other signs inside your home that you may have an issue. You can do this by observing the interior walls. If you see dark streaks or experience a soft spot in your wall, call a professional immediately. Also keep an eye out for cracked or peeling paint. Another sign that your roof might need a replacement is the presence of mildew. All of these could be signs that a roof leak has made its way into your home and is affecting other aspect of your home.
A roof is commonly overlooked but it is one of the most important things to maintain on your home. After all, it protects you and your family from the harsh outdoor elements.
Stains on ceiling from water damage.
Another aspect that is not typically thought of is the quality of the installation of the new roof. It may seem obvious, but consumers should really consider the company that is installing their roof! Some roofing companies are only in it for the profit, then it is on to the next job with little to no support or contact after the roof has been installed. It is important to pick a roofing company that not only uses high quality roofing material but also has the expert knowledge of a roof installation. Shingles that are out of place or not installed correctly can deteriorate faster than a clean, quality installation. American Design and Build has installed thousands of roofs in our 28 years in business, and we ensure that each roof we install is done correctly and professionally the first time, leaving the homeowner with a headache-free roof and peace of mind for 25+ years. And if an issue was to arise years down the road, American Design and Build will be there with our award-winning customer support and warranties to ensure the issue is fixed promptly! Whether it is a simple question on an existing project, an inquiry about another project, or a service on a project done years ago, we are always here to help our homeowners!
In conclusion, there are plenty of signs to look for to see if your roof needs a replacement. As mentioned before, it is better not to wait or put off repairs, as it may exacerbate the issue and end up costing more. Furthermore, the roofing company you choose will also have a LARGE impact on the quality and lifespan of your roof. It is recommended that you do your research and choose a company that not only will install the roof professionally, but also one that will provide support long after the project has been completed. If you need a roof replacement, call the experts at American Design and Build and get a New Roof with No Interest, No Payments for 2 Years!